Monday, March 22, 2010

Veggie Wraps

We all know we should be eating more vegetables but that doesn't mean having to eat plain steamed broccoli everyday. Instead here's a fun and flavorful way to get those servings in with my veggie wrap recipe.

I discovered this unique idea when I was eating at a vegetarian restaurant in Boulder, Colorado. I loved it so much I came home and created my own version. I use swiss chard as the wrap to hold everything together. If you haven't tried swiss chard before, I recommend it as it has a milder taste than spinach. (I've included a picture of rainbow swiss chard to help find it in the grocery store, but it also can be found in bunches of just red or green chard.) Feel free to substitute butter or romaine lettuce for the wraps and experiment with different veggies for the filing.

Veggie Wrap Recipe

For the leafy wrap:
8 Swiss chard leaves or romaine lettuce leaves or butter lettuce leaves

For the filling:
1/2-1 cup grated carrots
1/2-1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced or julienned
1/2 cup sprouts

Other mix and match filling suggestions:
1/2-1 cup shredded cabbage (purple and/or green)
8 large basil leaves
Chopped green onions

Dipping Sauce:

I like to make my own dipping sauce, but you could also use a bottled peanut sauce. You can either dip your wrap in the sauce or drizzle it over the filling before you roll the wrap up.

Here's a sauce recipe I found in the Vegetarian Times magazine.

Lemon-Ginger Dipping Sauce

1/4 cup raw tahini (ground sesame seeds - look for it by the other nut butters or in the specialty foods aisle of your grocery store)
1-2 Tablespoons agave nectar or brown rice syrup or honey
4 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce or Bragg's Amino Acids
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons fresh ginger

Estimated nutrition per roll (will depend on the veggies and dipping sauce you choose):

167 cal; 6g protein; 11g fat; 15g carb, 282mg sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment