Monday, July 19, 2010

Product Spotlight: Sunflower Seed "Bread"

I'm happy to admit that I'm a health food product junkie. I love to flex my "chic card" by shopping not for shoes or clothes but for healthy food items that I can recommend to my clients. Going to the grocery store is a fun activity as I peruse the aisles, looking for the latest and greatest products. I get really excited when I find something new to recommend.

This weekend I found Lydia's Organics Sunflower Seed "Bread." Though it's called bread, it has the consistently of a dehydrated cracker but there is not a grain or flour in it. The list of ingredients is composed of easily recognizable, real food: Sprouted sunflower seeds, carrots, celery, sprouted flax, parsley, basil, dulse seaweed, herbs, and Himalayan salt. The 'bread" is gluten-free, raw, organic, and vegan. One slice is 100 calories with 5 grams of healthy fat coming from the sunflower seeds, only 7 grams of carbs, 4 grams of dietary fiber, and 5 grams of protein. This nice balance of nutrients is great for keeping your blood sugar and energy levels stable. One serving has 45% of your Vitamin A and 8% of your daily iron. It's also a low sodium food with only 65 milligrams per serving.

Since it's dehydrated, you can eat it like a cracker or quickly dip it in water to rehydrate it for a softer texture. Now that we're fully in the summer travel season, this would be a great product to take with you on trips - either in the car, on the plane, or even out camping.

I found this product at MOM's Organic Market in the DC metro area. You can also purchase it online. Check out Lydia's site as the company offers other interesting products such as green crackers, energy bars, and grainless cereals. Let me know what you think if you try any of the products.

No comments:

Post a Comment