Thursday, December 24, 2009

Happy Holidays!

With the holidays upon us, our company has arrived and more than doubled the normal size of our household. Nowhere is this more evident than at the grocery store. Making sure the house is stocked with everything we need has sent me to the grocery store three times just in the past two days and yes, I'm planning to make another trip today. As soon as I return from the grocery store, new needs suddenly emerge and I start making my next list. I'm sure any mothers of teenage boys who are reading this are laughing at my "amateur" status thinking that this is their life everyday.

Even with the many trips to the grocery store, I really enjoy having company, especially at mealtime, because it causes me to slow down and enjoy the moment. In the typical business of day-to-day life, eating tends to be more functional. It is often a short break to quickly eat something and then get back to the task at hand. The holidays inspire me to create a more special eating experience - from fancy table decorations to meals that require extra preparation time and care. Instead of bolting down our food while working on the computer or watching TV, the holidays inspire us to be really present for the meal, sitting at the dining room table, enjoying hearing about our guests lives while also laughing as we reminisce about the past. It is a good reminder that food is not only nourishment for the body but also for the mind and spirit.

I wish you all happiness, health, and a mindful holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment