Thursday, December 31, 2009

Next Stop 2010!

“I was going to take over the world...but I got distracted by something shiny.” -unknown

I'm not a big fan of New Year's resolutions. All the "shoulds" that run through our minds such as "I should exercise or I should lose weight" suddenly take on a new urgency. As January 1 arrives, we often think: "Okay, enough goofing off. I need to get back on track and get serious about getting healthy." Yet making a resolution without a having a plan of action is like saying you're going for a drive without bothering to fill up an empty gas tank. You may get in the car but you're not going to be traveling anywhere. Then we often quickly abandon our resolutions as frustration sets in because progress is not being made.

Instead of resolutions, I recommend setting goals instead. What's the difference you ask? To me, resolutions are intangible "shoulds" as mentioned above. Goals are "SMART" - specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound. Goals provide a tangible plan of action. Let's take an example to look at the difference.

Resolution: "I should eat better."

Goal: "I will eat 2 pieces of fruit at least 5 days a week for the next month."

Besides being "SMART", goals also have to be realistic for your level of commitment and for your lifestyle. Before making a goal you need to ask yourself several questions:
  • What are the habits that are keeping me from this goal?
  • Am I willing to change these habits to accomplish the goal?
  • Am I willing to put in the work to accomplish this goal?
  • Is this change sustainable over the long-term?

Once you have identified your goals, the next thing to consider is what tools and assistance you need to help accomplish them.

As I work with my clients to help them reach their goals, we work together to create what I like to call their “I MAP”:

1. Information – With information overload, what is myth versus reality?

2. Motivation – What is the inspiration for making a change now?

3. Application – How does this info apply to my individual life?

4. Practice – What habits do I need to work on to achieve my goals?

If you’re feeling stuck, are ready to make a change, but are not sure how, I’m here to help. Let me help guide you with valid information as we work together to create your “MAP” for the New Year and get you moving in the direction you want to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment