Thursday, January 28, 2010

Why Willpower Doesn't Work - Part 2

Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time. - Mark Twain

In my previous post, I discussed how knowledge and willpower is often not enough to reach your goals. Lasting, sustainable results come from changing your behavior patterns.

Changing your habits is challenging and requires persistent effort and hard work. On average, it takes about 21 days or 3 weeks to form a new habit. When we break down how change happens, it actually involves a 6 step process.



1. Pre-Contemplation: A person who denies or fails to recognize the problem. "Hey, that's not fat, it's muscle."

2. Contemplation: Being "on the fence." Acknowledging the problem without being ready to change it. "So what if my pants are tight, the ladies still love me."

3. Preparation: Getting ready to change. "All right, I'm ready to get motivated. Let me call Mary and make an appointment."

4. Action: Changing behavior and actually "doing it." "Wow, eating healthy never seemed so easy. This plan Mary put together for me is brilliant!"

5. Maintenance: Not falling off the wagon and "living it." "Eating healthy is just like brushing my teeth everyday. If I don't do it I feel gross."

6. Termination: The behavior has been tamed and no longer poses a threat. "I'm a lean, mean, muscle machine."

When folks try to go directly to action too quickly without being ready for it, they often relapse or return to their bad habits as quickly as they vowed to change. We then often beat ourselves up for being so "weak" or not having any willpower when in reality change is a process. We need to change our mindset from one of immediate action and automatic success to one of progress in which we advance from one stage to the next. Sometimes we relapse or fall back into our old behavior and might have to revert to a previous stage of change and re-evaluate. The trick is to get up, dust yourself off, get back on the healthy eating horse, and keep moving forward.

If you're ready to make some changes in your nutrition but need some help, contact me for an appointment today. An investment in your health is always a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment