Monday, May 17, 2010

What's Your Nutrition "Chicken Door?"

Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.

~Michael Jordan

Do you know what a "chicken door" is?

In themes parks and amusements rides, the "chicken door" is an exit door near the loading platform of roller coasters and other thrill rides for those who have second thoughts and decide at last minute that they have no wish to ride. Hence the "chicken door" allows for a quick escape.

This got me thinking about how we all have our own "chicken doors" in life.

I confronted my own "chicken door" a few months ago when deciding whether or not to enter a weight lifting competition. I started listing all the excuses in my head about why it wasn't "sensible" - I would have to take time off from work; I wasn't going to win anyway so why should I try; I could fail miserably and embarrass myself. When I realize I start trying to use my "chicken door" to get out of things that scare or intimidate me, then I know I really should do them because I don't want fear to make my decisions for me.

Many people have a "chicken door" when it comes to making changes in their health or nutrition. They know they should be making changes but an excuse always comes up that gives them an "out." Whether or not one admits it, fear is the captain of nutrition comfort zone.

Here are some common "chicken doors" when it comes to nutrition:
  • Fear of being judged. Since eating is one of the most personal topics, many people have the fear of being judged or embarrassed when talking about what they eat. It's scary to admit to yourself and someone else that your habits are not supporting your goals.
  • Fear of change. The fear of changing current habits is common, especially when we use eating to cope with life or soothe our feelings.
  • Fear of failure. The fear of failure is also prevalent as many say they want to change but secretly believe that this effort won't work for them either. The fear of failure is rooted in self-doubt and that it's not okay to make a mistake and try again.
  • Fear of success. Surprisingly sometimes the fear of success can also be a nutrition "chicken door," especially when one's life has resolved around losing weight. For example, many people have an easier time losing weight than maintaining and keeping it off. The excitement of reaching a goal is often tempered by the thought: "What do I do now?"

Change is uncomfortable and these fears often prevent us from taking action and achieving the healthy life we yearn for. Don't let fear be in charge of your life. Avoid taking the "chicken door." And as always I'm here to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment